Where we work
UNECE works with and for its 56 member countries, which are located on 3 continents.
However, many of our norms, standards and legal instruments are used worldwide.
Here are a few examples.
2 of our conventions ( Water Convention and Aarhus Convention access to information, access to justice and public participation) are now global.
We do global conventions and standards for:
- Vehicles, promoting safety and environmental performance
- The transport of dangerous goods (chemicals, explosives)
- Global harmonized labelling system for chemicals
- The international transport of goods by road (TiR Convention)
- Road safety (road signs, road safety, etc.)
We do global norms and standards on:
- Trade Facilitation
- Electronic Trade (Edifact, UN/CEFACT)
- Single Window
- Agricultural products (fruits, vegetables, dried fruits, meat)
- World-unified system for the classification of mineral resources and fossil fuels, of high interest to all mining countries
- Best Practice Guidance for Effective Methane Drainage and use in Coal Mines