UNECE activities on Sustainable Development
UNECE has an extensive and diversified work programme which is focused on contributing to sustainable development by means of concrete and results-oriented activities that address the needs of countries of the region and beyond. These activities are carried out in eight broad areas of work or subprogrammes: environment, transport, statistics, economic cooperation and integration, sustainable energy, trade, timber and forestry, and housing, land management and population.
The “mainstreaming” of sustainable development in all UNECE activities has been actively pursued. Key activities include the following:
- The development and implementation of the five UNECE environmental conventions and related protocols
- The UNECE Strategy for Education for Sustainable Development that strives for education at all levels that will make children and adults more cognizant and knowledgeable on sustainability issues.
- The management of fifty-eight international transport agreements and the development of standards and recommendations that promote affordable, safe and clean transport.
- The Pan-European Programme on Transport, Health and Environment (THE PEP) as a platform for sharing knowledge and best practices on integrated approaches to transportation, health and environment issues.
- The Conference of European Statisticians (CES) Recommendations on Measuring Sustainable Development, prepared by UNECE in cooperation with OECD and Eurostat, and the CES Recommendations on Climate Change-Related Statistics.
- The development of appropriate models of Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) as an effective instrument for engaging the private sector and mobilizing resources for long-term financing in key sectors for sustainable development, such as infrastructure, health and energy.
- Strengthening the competitiveness of member States’ economies by promoting a knowledge-based innovative economy as well as by facilitating the development of entrepreneurship and the emergence of new enterprises.
- Providing access to sustainable energy for all in the region and promoting energy efficiency and renewable energy.
- Contributing to reducing barriers to trade in goods and services through greater implementation of international and UNECE norms, standards, instruments and recommendations, especially in trade facilitation.
- Promotion of sustainable forest management and adoption of the Rovaniemi Action Plan for the Forest Sector in a Green Economy.
- Supporting sustainable cities and housing sectors and effective land administration, as laid out in the UNECE Strategy for Sustainable Housing and Land Management and the Charter on Sustainable Housing.