Migration is a defining feature of the 21st century world. The UNECE region is heavily impacted by migratory processes, but statistics to monitor these processes and formulate appropriate policies are scarce and often of poor quality.
We work with member States to
- devise innovative ways to measure and monitor the ever-changing migratory flows
- develop common definitions
- explore the use of administrative data and non-traditional data sources for migration statistics
We promote the improvement of data quality for measuring migration by providing technical assistance and facilitating exchange of experience and best practice.
Topics we work on include:
- Circular migration
- Assessing data quality and integrating multiple data sources for migration statistics
- Use of administrative and household surveys to measure international migration.
For a list of currently active task forces and steering groups on topics in migration statistics, click here.
Practical Guide for Countries of Eastern Europe and Central Asia on Migration Statistics (available in English and Russian) (2011)
Guidelines for Exchanging Data to Improve Emigration Statistics (2.9 MB) (2010)
Seminar on measuring population movement and integration in a globalized world (CES plenary session, June 2008)
Migratory - an online inventory of sources on migration in Europe, Central Asia and North America
Clearing House on Migration Statistics - an online data repository which includes basic migration data from twelve countries in Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia.
Meetings and events
For information about events related to migration statistics, click here.