Capacity development is fundamental to ensure that countries across the UNECE region are well equipped to implement the internationally-agreed frameworks on ageing.
The Population unit's capacity-building activities are designed to
- enhance knowledge about demographic change and its societal consequences
- assist countries to harness existing knowledge and skills to improve evidence-based policymaking
- foster the exchange of experience to allow countries to benefit from practices and lessons learned in other countries.
Road Maps for Mainstreaming Ageing
Road Maps provide a guide to aid countries in upholding the commitments MIPAA and RIS. They identify concrete actions relevant to the economic, social, cultural and political specificities of the country.
Road Maps are developed using a wide-ranging participatory process: not only the Government but also civil society, academia, the private sector and of course older people themselves are consulted so that the recommendations reflect the views of all sectors of society.
UNECE organizes or co-organizes capacity-building workshops on various themes related to ageing.
- Ageing - "Addressing data gaps for active ageing indicators" (2015)
- Ageing – “Community services for the elderly” (2012)
- Ageing – “Community services for the elderly” (2011)
- Ageing – A Challenge and an opportunity for the countries of Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia
INIA (International Institute on Ageing) - Malta
The United Nations Economic and Social Council, by its Resolution 1987/41, recommended to the United Nations Secretary-General the establishment of the International Institute on Ageing. On 9 October 1987, the United Nations signed an official agreement with the Government of Malta to establish the International Institute on Ageing as an autonomous body under the auspices of the United Nations. The Institute was inaugurated on 15 April 1988 by the United Nations Secretary-General, H.E. Mr. Javier Perez de Cuellar.
More information about INIA can be found on their website (please note that this is an external website).