UNECE has negotiated five environmental conventions, all of which are now in force:
- Convention on Long-range Transboundary Air Pollution
- Convention on Environmental Impact Assessment in a Transboundary Context
- Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes
- Convention on the Transboundary Effects of Industrial Accidents
- Convention on Access to Information, Public Participation in Decision-making and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters
Their governing bodies are serviced by the UNECE secretariat, which also helps them to monitor the implementation of the treaties.
The five conventions have been supplemented by a number of protocols, including: