UNECE and the Global Goals
UNECE helps countries to convene and cooperate on norms, standards and conventions
in support of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
This impacts the life of citizens every single day when they, for instance, buy food, drive
a car, breathe clean air, transport goods, handle chemicals, save energy or walk in the
UNECE is actively engaged in work related to 16 of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, with significant involvement in 10 of them:
Click on the image to enlarge it
UNECE helps implement the Sustainable Development Goals by translating the global goals into norms, standards and conventions, developing statistical recommendations and capacity, undertaking performance reviews and studies (environment, innovation, regulatory barriers, housing, forestry, statistics), building capacity and engaging in partnerships with the private sector and civil society.
“UNECE’s achievements have made it a go-to source for improving
global public goods and services, with more than 100 countries beyond
the UNECE region benefiting from its work”.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
5 multilateral environmental conventions and 12 protocols, including:
58 UN agreements and conventions for roads, rail and inland waterways, and facilitation
of safe and sustainable transport, including:
- Vehicle regulations for safety and efficiency
- Traffic rules, road signs and signals, and road safety
- Masterplans for motorways and rail
- Global customs transit facilitation (TIR)
- Transport of dangerous goods and perishable foodstuffs
- Driving times and rest periods for professional drivers (AETR)
- Global system to classify and label chemicals (GHS)