NPD launched: 2009
NPD Chair: Ministry of Energy and Water Resources
MOU with UNECE: 2011 (in English)
Current priority areas:
- Design and implementation of a programme for water sector development based on IWRM principles; including basin management.
- Further implementation of the Water Supply Programme for 2000-2015, including the reform of water pricing.
- Strengthening of transboundary water cooperation with Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan.
Over 60 professionals attend the NPD Steering Committee meetings in Tajikistan. Several active working groups demonstrate excellent stakeholder engagement.
- A key achievement of the NPD was the development of the Water Sector Reform Programme 2016-2025 for Tajikistan. Programme was adopted by Government in December 2015 and implementation is on the way. Aim of the programme is to create framework by 2020 for the transition to water resource management according to the basin principle and to clarify the competencies of different national institutions. Separately, a Programme for Development of Irrigation and Melioration Sector was prepared in 2015-2016.
- The NPD acted as an umbrella process for transboundary water diplomacy to advance the cooperation with Afghanistan and the management of a transboundary basin with Kyrgyzstan in the Isfara basin (project led by GIZ).
- Targets have been drafted for the application of the Protocol on Water and Health.
- A training workshop was organised with the Antimonopoly Agency with a view to building capacity quickly to monitor the performance of water utilities, to review proposals for tariff increase by operators, and to measure and address affordability issues.
Plans for the future:
- The NPD Working Group on legal issues will contribute to the process of drafting the new Water Code and will propose changes in other legal acts.
- In response to the Antimonopoly Agency’s request, further cooperation will aim at capacity building to strengthen the economic regulation for WSS.
- The development of the strategic plan for the irrigation sector is envisaged to combine food and water security, and achieve financial sustainability.
Stakeholder meeting (10 May 2013), see report and list of participants (in Russian)
Documents and Publications
Appendix B: Implementation and Investment Plan for the Irrigation and Rural Water Supply Sub Sector in English - version as of February 2012