Promoting ratification and application of the Protocol on SEA
Activities under the Espoo Convention and its Protocol on SEA
(period between 6th and 7th sessions of the Meetings of the Parties to the Convention,
See also the previous activities relating to capacity development for the Protocol:
- SEA capacity-building needs analysis in Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia, 2004-2008
- Production of a capacity-development manual, and provision of training, to support implementation of the Protocol, 2004-2008
- Promoting ratification and application of the Protocol, 2008-2011
- Promoting ratification and application of the Protocol, 2011-2014
Watch a short introduction to the Protocol on Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA). The video presents the SEA process set out in the Protocol, together with its benefits and potential as a tool for greening economies.
Preparation of fact-sheets on application of SEA, e.g., on industrial reconversion and investment plans or sustainable agricultural practices.
|Preparation of two-page informal pamphlets on key issues in SEA practice|
Informal pamphlets on key issues
On-going (being lead by IAIA), see No. 7: Alternatives in Strategic Environmental Assessment of Plans and Programs (March 2014)
|Workshops, including training, on the application of the Protocol for countries in the UNECE region and other Parties to the Protocol, in particular countries of South-Eastern and Eastern Europe, the Caucasus and Central Asia|
Workshop and training reports.
Lead organization: IAIA, with the support of WHO, SEA and health experts and the secretariat.
(a) One national training event, one local training event;
Armenia, 2015-2016: Technical advice to Armenia on improving legislation to implement the Protocol and advice in drafting necessary amendments and legislation
Ongoing. One national awareness raising event completed, one planned for 2016.
(3) Seminar planned in 2016.
(b) Two national training events, two local training events;
Azerbaijan, 2014-2016: Technical advice to Azerbaijan on improving legislation to implement the Convention
Ongoing. One national awareness raising event on the legislation. Expected to be completed in 2015.
(1) Training workshop (Part I) 'Practical application of the SEA in the alternative and renewable energy sector in Azerbaijan in line with Draft Law on EIA' (3 - 4 March 2015), Start-up workshop: SEA scoping and baseline analysis
(2) Training workshop (Part II) 'Practical application of the SEA in the alternative and renewable energy sector in Azerbaijan in line with Draft Law on EIA and Scoping consultations" (11 - 12 May 2015), Baku
(c) One national training event;
Belarus, 2015-2016: Technical assistance to Belarus in drafting legislation to implement the Protocol (building on the existing legislative review)
Ongoing, arrangements are in place, to be completed in 2016.
(d) One national training event;
Georgia, 2014-2015: Technical assistance to Georgia in drafting legislation to implement the Convention and the Protocol (building on the existing legislative review)
Cancelled – to be carried out by Netherlands Commission on Environmental Assessment.
(e) Two national training events, two local training events;
Republic of Moldova, 2014-2016.
Completed. One national event completed (Part I and Part II). The second national event took place in June 2015. The two local training events were cancelled and replaced by a second pilot.
(2) Practical application of the Draft Law of the Republic of Moldova on Strategic Environmental Assessment to urban plans and programmes: SEA scoping and baseline analysis workshops (30 - 31 July 2014), Chisinau
(4) Strategic Environmental Assessment as a tool for greening economy and the role of sectoral authorities (17 June 2015), Experience and lessons learned from the SEA pilot project for the Master Plan of the Orhei Town in the Republic of Moldova
(f) One national training event, one local training event;
(g) One national training event, two local training events.
Completed in June 2015 (one training for the Ministry of Environment and two awareness raising events for high-level officials and sectoral ministries.
|National guidance documents on SEA.|
Outline arrangements, to be detailed in the beginning of 2016.
One published guidance document per country 2015–2016.
Lead countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Republic of Moldova and Ukraine.
|Pilot SEAs in selected countries, in selected sectors|
|(a) Armenia (2014–2015)||Ongoing. Arrangements in the sector of waste management.|
|(b) Azerbaijan (2014–2015)||Ongoing in the sector of renewables.|
|(c) Georgia (2014–2015)||Ongoing in the sector of waste management|
|(d) Republic of Moldova (2014–2015)||Completed – a second one will be implemented (initiated in 2015).|
|(e) Ukraine (2015–2016);||Ongoing, preparations.|
|(f) Kazakhstan (2016–2017).||Planned.|
|(g) Russian Federation (2016–2017).|
Ongoing. SEA in the Zabaikalye region.