European Forest Sector Outlook Study II
Expectations of the region's forests to meet increasing environmental, social and economic demands have never been higher. European forest sector policy makers must grapple with complex, imperfectly understood challenges to meet these demands when designing forest policies. These policies will have to address challenges such as climate change, protection of biodiversity, space for recreation and leisure, and energy and raw material needs.
The European Forest Sector Outlook Study II (EFSOS II) addresses and discusses these demanding challenges through scenario analysis. A reference scenario and four policy scenarios have been prepared modelling trends in the European forest sector up to 2030, to illustrate the possible long-term consequences of policy choices.
List of Chapters
A Russian language version is available here.
The following UNECE/FAO Discussion Papers are in preparation. They provide background information on the data and methods used in the study.
- Jonsson, R. Econometric Modelling and Projections of Wood Products Demand, Supply and Trade in Europe - A contribution to EFSOS II. Geneva Timber and Forest Discussion paper, ECE/TIM/DP/59. Geneva: UNECE.
- Mantau, U. (in press) The Method of the Wood Resource Balance - A contribution to EFSOS II. Geneva Timber and Forest Discussion paper, ECE/TIM/DP/60. Geneva: UNECE.
- Moiseyev, A., Solberg, B. and Kallio, A.M.I. (in press) Analysing the impacts on the European forest sector of increased use of wood for energy - A contribution to EFSOS II. Geneva Timber and Forest Discussion paper, ECE/TIM/DP/63. Geneva: UNECE.
- Verkerk, H., Schelhaas, M.J. (in press) European forest resource development - A contribution to EFSOS II. Geneva Timber and Forest Discussion paper, ECE/TIM/DP/61. Geneva: UNECE.
- Weimar, H., Englert, H., Moiseyev, A. and Dieter, M. (in press) Competitiveness of the European Forest Sector - A contribution to EFSOS II. Geneva Timber and Forest Discussion paper, ECE/TIM/DP/62. Geneva: UNECE.
EFSOS II was preceded by EFSOS, and previous to that by the European Timber Trends Studies, starting from the early 1960s. Copies of all of these studies are available on our website under publications.
During 2011-12, presentations at national or international professional meetings were made. EFSOS II was presented by the Secretariat at the following events:
- Press conference to launch EFSOS II, held in Geneva, Switzerland, 22 September 2011 (photos)
- Informal Meeting of the EU Forestry and Nature Directors General, held in Ryn, Poland, 28-29 September 2011
- Fifteenth meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice of the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD SBSTTA 15), held in Montreal, Canada, 7-11 November 2011
- National Forest Policy Dialogue: from International Perspectives to National Policy, held in Paris, France, 8 December 2011 (link)
- Forests 2030: Policy Talk on the Future of Forests in Europe and North America, held in Geneva, Switzerland, 13 December 2011 (link)
- European Commission Biomass Sustainability Criteria - Informal Member States meeting, held in Brussels, Belgium, 23 January 2012
- WWF Bioenergy webinar, held in Geneva, Switzerland, 7 February 2012
- Florian Steierer (FAO) at the "European Pellet Conference 2012", held in Wels, Austria, 29 February-1 March 2012 (link)
- Latvia Ministry of Agriculture, held in Riga, Latvia, 2 March 2012 (article , photos)
- Policy Debate on Wood Energy, held in Geneva, Switzerland, 8 May 2012 (link)
- Eighth International Conference on Renewable Resources and Biorefineries, held in Toulouse, France, 4-6 June 2012 (link)
- Final Conference of the EU Project MANFRED.The Future Potential of European Forest Mountain Forests: challenges and solutions between Green Economy and Climate Change, held in Rome (Italy), 28 June 2012 (link)
Stakeholders have also been actively disseminating and promoting EFSOS II. A few examples follow:
- Johannes Hangler, article in “Holzkurier" Issue 45, November 2011 PDF
- Andrius Kuliešis, presentation at the conference of “Lithuanian Private forest owners Association”, held in Trakai, Lithuania, 8 December 2011
- Andrius Kuliešis, article in "Mūsų girios" a Lithuanian forestry journal, December 2011 (article)
- Peter Schwarzbauer, integration of EFSOS II into lectures on forest products markets at the University of Natural resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria
- Jaromír Jašíček, Michal Synek, articles in "Lesnická práce", a Czech forestry magazine, Czech Republic, February-September 2012 Evropská výhledová studie lesnického sektoru,, Referenční scénář, Maximalizace uhlíku v biomase, Upřednostnění biodiverzity, Podpora výroby energie ze dřeva, Podpora inovací a konkurenceschopnosti