UNECE is an active member of the Environment and Security Initiative (ENVSEC), a partnership of six international organizations:
- the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE),
- the Regional Environment Centre for Central and Eastern Europe (REC),
- the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP),
- the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE),
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),
- and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) as an associated partner.
UNECE hosts five environmental conventions, which enhance regional co-operation on environmental protection and, therefore, contribute to greater security.
- UNECE's environmental conventions
- Information Portal for Water and Environmental Issues in Central Asia
- Transboundary Chu-Talas River Project
- Capacity for Water Cooperation Project
- Capacity building for cooperation on dam safety in Central Asia
- Transboundary Dniester River Project