Chairman of the Commission
Ambassador Mukhtar Tileuberdi
The Commission at its 66th session (14-16 April 2015) elected its new Bureau, with Kazakhstan as Chair, Switzerland and Latvia as Vice-Chairs.
Ambassador Mukhtar Tileuberdi is Permanent Representative of the Republic of Kazakhstan to the United Nations and other international organizations in Geneva. He is concurrently serving as Ambassador to Liechtenstein, the Holy See and the Order of Malta. He is also currently Vice-President of the UN Human Rights Council until December 2015.
Ambassador Tilbeuberdi has served as President of the Trade and Development Board of UNCTAD (2012-2013), President of the UN Conference on Disarmament (May-June 2014), President of the 5th meeting of the States parties to the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture (October 2014).
Prior positions he has held include:
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Kazakhstan to the Republic of Indonesia, Brunei Darussalam and the Republic of Philippines concurrently (2005–2009)
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Kazakhstan to Malaysia (2004–2009)
- Vice-Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan (2003–2004)
- Counselor of the Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the State of Israel (2001–2003)
- Adviser to the State Secretary of the Republic of Kazakhstan (2000–2001)
Born on 30 June 1968, he was educated at the Kazakh State University in Almaty, the Institute of Asian and African Countries at the Moscow State University, and at the University of Yeonsey in Seoul. He is married and has two sons and a daughter.