New Challenges in Economic Statistics Capacity building programme 2010-2012
We offer support to the National Statistical Offices of Central Asian and Eastern European countries, and Mongolia in economic statistics. The programme supports sharing of experiences and building of networks of experts in the region.
14-17 March, 2011 (Astana, Kazakhstan)
- Why are short-term statistics important?
- Use of multiple data sources
- Methodology of compilation of STS
- Seasonal adjustment in practice
- Exercises on seasonal adjustment of time series
The workshop discussed the production of short-term economic statistics, time series, seasonal adjustment methods and dissemination practices. It was attended by 38 national experts from 12 different countries.
Istanbul, Turkey, 10-13 October 2011
Joint organizer: Turkish Statistical Institute
- Calculation of elementary and higher-level indices
- Owner occupied housing in the CPI
- The coverage of goods and services
- Seasonal products and missing prices
- Adjustment for quality changes
This workshop was based on the international CPI Manual and country practices: it focused on the implementation of recommended methods and included practical exercises.
Kiev, Ukraine, 29 November - 2 December 2011
Joint organizers States Statistics Committee of Ukraine, United Nations Statistical Division and the European Free Trade Association
- The main issues of the 2008 SNA and specific challenges of the region
- How to implement the 2008 SNA?
- Developing of related primary statistics
- Developing implementation plans
The workshop focused on the challenges for transition economies in the implementation of the 2008 System of National Accounts. It supported countries in establishing implementation plans for the 2008 SNA and in improving related primary statistics.
Ankara, Turkey, 20-23 February 2012
This workshop is a continuation of the first workshop in seasonal adjustment, and will tackle more the methodological and practical issues. The purpose of seasonal adjustment is to provide faster indication of economic changes and to simplify information so that it can be more easily interpreted in policy making. Countries will discuss their experiences and problems with seasonal adjustment.
Additional meetings or workshops on topical issues in economic statistics will be announced later.
During the workshops, we will provide:
- training and exercises
- discussion of current problems and possible solutions for improving statistics, based on international recommendations and standards
- translation English - Russian
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.