Salle VII, Palais des Nations
- Team of Specialists on Forest Products Markets and Marketing
- Green Building Workshop
- TC market discussions
- Policy forum on "The forest sector in the green economy".
Introduction and Overview
The current global economic crisis is tremendously impacting the forest sector in the UNECE region and beyond. The UNECE Timber Committee brought together a wide range of participants representing Governments, industry, research and education, international organizations and non-governmental organizations to analyze the current situation, and look for ways to position the sector to bounce back.
- The week began on 12 October with a green building workshop on “Responding to Climate Change: Wood’s place in a global approach to green building”. Carrying forward recommendations from a 2008 workshop, and bringing in fresh information, this workshop paved the way for a major conference on green building in 2010. With input from other sectors, notably environment and energy, this workshop created new collaboration.
- On 13-14 October the Timber Committee sessions started the annual Market Discussions on “UNECE region forest products markets in a global economic crisis”. Experts led discussions based on the UNECE/FAO Forest Products Annual Market Review, 2008-2009, country market statements and forecasts.
- “The forest sector in the green economy” is the one-day Policy Forum held on Thursday, 15 October. Speakers evaluated the situation of the forest sector in the context of the global economic crisis; identified opportunities for the sector’s contribution to a more sustainable society and a greener economy; and discussed means of positioning the sector to bounce out of the current economic slump.
- The Timber Committee finished its agenda during the morning session on Friday, 16 October. Items to discuss may be found in the agenda.
Background documents related to session are presented below.
Green Building Workshop
Announcement and Programme
Matters arising from the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe session
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in a changing international environment: briefing and discussion of recent developments
Market developments in 2009 and prospects for 2010
Forest Products Annual Market Review and Executive Summary
Country Market Statements
Forecasts for Forest Products Markets in 2009 and 2010
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations Policy Forum: The forest sector in the green economy
Review of activities since the sixty-sixth session and programme of work
Report of the meeting
There will be a meeting of the Team of Specialists on Forest Products Markets and Marketing. More information on this can be found here.