The overall goals of the Working Party are the promotion and improvement of land administration and land management in the UNECE region. The Working Party aims at supporting security of tenure, improving and creating more effective land registries and promoting sustainable land use policies.
In particular, the Working Party:
- Identifies methods to strengthen and modernize land administration systems
- Contributes to the formulation, implementation and monitoring of land policy and the promotion of sustainable land management programmes and projects
- Improves the acquisition, registration, storage, maintenance and dissemination of information on real property rights as well as the geometric and physical characteristics of land
- Brings together an effective network of land administration officials
The Working Party on Land Administration operates under the auspices of the UNECE Committee on Housing and Land Management. Its members are the national land administration authorities and related authorities from UNECE member states.
The activities of the Working Party are based on cooperation and the exchange of experience among countries of the region. This is done through:
- Seminars and workshops organized in member States
- Land administration reviews
- Participation in the development of country profiles on the housing sector organized by the Committee on Housing and Land Management
- Publication of studies and guidelines on specific land administration and land management topics
- Benchmarking and preparation of inventories of land administration systems in the UNECE region
- Provision of policy advice and expert assistance