The UNECE Population unit works to promote policy dialogue among the UNECE Member states on various facets of demographic change the region, with a particular focus on ageing and on the relationships between generations and between the genders.
The work of the unit focuses on:
- Acting as the secretariat of the UNECE Working Group on Ageing
- Coordination of regional follow-up to the 2002 Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing and its regional implementation strategy, as well as the 2007 UNECE Ministerial Conference on Ageing and the 2012 UNECE Ministerial Conference "Ensuring a society for all ages: promoting quality of life and active ageing"
- Capacity development work in the area of ageing, including training workshops and working with individual member States to develop Road Maps for Mainstreaming Ageing
- The Generations and Gender Programme.
Population unit staff
- Vitalija Gaucaite Wittich (Ms), Chief
- Fiona Willis-Núñez (Ms), Associate Population Affairs Officer
- Olga Kharitonova (Ms), Consultant
- France Font-Vérot (Ms), Programme Assistant