Data and Statistics
The Forestry and Timber Section has a long-standing tradition of extensive data collection. Below are outputs for some of the current programmes of recurring statistical work.
Forest Products and Trade
(click on a product category to view related information)
- Selected production and trade data for 2011-2015 (statistical annex to Forest Products Annual Market Review)
- Complete data for 2010-2014 in PDF or XLS
- Complete database, all years, all products - ENG (data for 1964-2014), updated December 2015
- Country replies to questionnaire
- FAOSTAT (queryable forestry database)
- Forecasts for 2016-2017
- Trade Flow, showing value of trade by product group for all regions and between leading countries
- Trade by Species (2010-2014) in PDF or XLS
- Secondary Products Trade (2010-2014) in PDF or XLS
- Prices, including historical data from 1964-2015
- FAO Trade Flow Interactive Database
- FAO Yearbook of Forest Products, all years since 1947
There have been five Joint Wood Energy Enquiries (JWEE) carried out by the UNECE/FAO on wood energy use in the region. The results and accompanying analysis have been presented at the 37th, 35th, 34th, 32nd, 31st and 29th meetings of the Joint FAO/UNECE Working Party on Forest Statistics, Economics and Management. The actual data can be found here
(click on a topic to view related information)
- 2011 State of Europe's Forests
- 2007 State of Europe's Forests and national reports
- 2003 State of Europe's Forests
Cooperation with Economies in Transition of Central and Eastern Europe in the Forestry and Forest Products Sector
- Joint Forest Sector Questionnaire definitions (English, Russian)
- JFSQ questionnaire (English, Russian)
- FRA definitions
video of FAO Forest Statistics
a note on the JFSQ process
a note on 2000-2005 publications of the Timber Bulletin
- 1947 FAO Report on Conversion Factors meeting, Washington D.C.
Cooperation on forestry statistics is long-standing. It is designed to lighten the burden for reporting countries and to assist international organizations in producing consistent data.
In forest products information the Intersecretariat Working Group on Forest Sector Statistics coordinates the Joint Forest Sector Questionnaire amongst the 4 participating organizations: ECE/FAO, Eurostat, ITTO and FAO. Each of the organizations is responsible for circulating the questionnaire to those countries for which it is responsible. Results of the questionnaire are provided to the partner organizations as needed. Each organization publishes these results according to its mandate and needs. We are grateful to our partners for their dedication and cooperation in producing the best forest products statistics possible.
In forest resources statistics a common questionnaire (CFRQ) is administered.
In wood energy ECE/FAO collaborates with IEA and IRENA to use the latest data and share results of their work.
Earlier issues of statistical publications can be found here. This includes Forest Products Statistics, Prices, Trade Flow, Species Trade and Secondary Products Trade.
last updated February 2017