In 1970, the UNECE Government Officials Responsible for Standardization Policies, the predecessor of WP. 6, developed Recommendation I that urged governments to include standardization in the curricula of educational institutions.
A preliminary survey conducted in 2011 in countries of the UNECE region revealed that more than 40 years after the adoption of the recommendation, very few universities yet include standards-related issues in the curriculum of students majoring in technical and scientific subjects. An analysis of such courses showed also differences in the underlying educational approaches.
In this context, the UNECE secretariat initiated consultations on a feasibility of elaborating a model educational programme on standardization containing minimum set of issues to give a student a general understanding of the major standardization, regulatory and related issues relevant to the activities of business and of regulatory and administrative authorities.
The first draft of such programme was prepared in February 2012 in consultation with a group of experts from educational institutions from Europe and CIS region. The draft was then presented at various forums: at the April 2012 Geneva meeting of the DCMAS (Network on Metrology, Accreditation and Standardization for Developing Countries), at the May 2012 ICES (International Cooperation for Education about Standardization) conference in Bali and at the June 2012 European conference on education about standardization in Brussels.
These discussions culminated with an UNECE Workshop on “Introducing Standards-related issues in Educational Curricula” which took place on 8 November 2012 in Geneva in the framework of the WP.6 22-nd annual session. More than 80 delegates and experts from about 20 countries and around 10 international and regional organizations representing academia, standards bodies, ministries of education and business adopted a new version of Recommendation “I’ (“education on standards-related issues”) and agreed on the importance of promoting and teaching standardization through elaborating coordinated approaches and building on existing national best practices.
This page contains examples of programmes and courses taught at various educational establishments
Technical University of Sofia
- Russian Federation
Academy of Standardization, Metrology and Certification: Thematic plan of training program "Contemporary Issues of standardization" (to improve the experts skills on standardization over 72 hours)
- Thematic plan of educational program "Standardization"(over. 500 hours)
- Training - In specialization of: "Contemporary Issues of standardization" of training programme «Standardization» (72 hours)
- Training - Specialists pre-qualifying for professional retraining on educational programs "Standardization" and preparation of the candidates for the standardization experts (560 hours)
- Programme of the discipline “Metrology, standardization and certification” Speciality 130102 Technologies of geological exploration Specialization “Geophysical methods of search for and exploration of mineral resources”
- Programme of the discipline “Metrology of analytical control” Speciality 020100 Chemistry Master programme “Analytical chemistry”
- Programme of the discipline “Metrology, standardization and certification” Speciality 080500 Business information science Specialization “Electronic business” (bachelor programme)
- Programme of the discipline “Metrology, standardization and certification” Speciality 230100 Information science and computer engineering (bachelor programme)
- Russian Federation
- Information on the UNIGE-ISO programme "Master on Standardization, Social regulation and Sustainable development
This page contains examples of information materials.
- books, publications
- British Standards Institute white paper on education
- JTC1/SC36 "Information technology for learning, education and training" and its mirror TC 461 in Russia (information in Russian)
- course "Standardisation in Companies and Market" (English). to register and to take course go to: www.pro-norm.de
- use of web search engines:
This page contains examples of materials to be used by students and professors
- UNECE tools/publications
- UNECE recommendations
- technical harmonization (rec L - Eng Fre Rus)
- market surveillance and counterfeits (rec M - Eng Fre Rus)
- risks management (rec N - Eng Fre Rus)
- risks management in regulatory framework
- information standards (TFIG)
- market surveillance
- links to thematic workshops
- APEC repository - APEC publications and other information on education on standardization
- ISO repository - ISO repository of teaching materials
- CEN/CENELEC repository - CEN/CENELEC JWG-EaS repository of education material