1. To contribute to the sustainable development of forest products markets in the UNECE region
2. Provide a forum for discussion of forest products marketing in the UNECE region. In particular, contribute to the UNECE Timber Committee annual market discussions and thereby advise UNECE/FAO on forest products market developments.
3. Advise the UNECE/FAO secretariat on implementation of Work Area 1, focusing on its products and publications, and undertaking studies as appropriate.
4. Provide assistance in marketing in the UNECE region, especially to central and eastern European countries, (and CIS countries where possible), through information collection, analysis and dissemination, and capacity building.
5. Maintain and expand the international network and forums for discussion, information exchange and collaboration on forest products markets and marketing.
EXPECTED MAJOR OUTPUTS
- Contribution to Timber Committee Market Discussions, studies and workshops on current and relevant topics, including, but not limited to, the market effects of green building policies, corporate social responsibility in forest products marketing and trade, public procurement policies, wood energy, etc.
- Advice on market-related publications and products, including the provision of expertise in the production and technical reviews of the Forest Products Annual Market Review.
- Participation in the secretariat’s short- and long-term outlook studies on all forest products market sectors, including those in 1 above.
- Include the International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO) Forest Products Marketing and Business Development Group as a partner in the maintenance and expansion of the “Current Issues Website” to collect and share with a wider community forest products marketing information, and the Forest Products Marketing Distance Learning Website.
- Maintenance and expansion of the “Forest Products Marketing & Business Management Reference List.” Build the international network of marketing specialists by collaboration in joint meetings, shared databases, websites and analyses with other groups, such as the IUFRO Research Group 5.10.00 on Forest Products Marketing and Business Development. 6. Conduct marketing workshops in southeast Europe and CIS according to need and funding availability.
- Work with universities to develop and implement curricula and courses devoted to forest products marketing at undergraduate and graduate levels. Curricula content could include topics listed in activity 1 and other topics specifically relevant to the individual universities.
Established/ Approved by
Joint session of the UNECE Timber Committee and the FAO European Forestry Commission, Rome, 21 to 24 October 2008
From 2010 to 2013, renewable thereafter
Methods of work
Regular analyses, meetings, information sharing and collaboration
Once a year to the FAO/UNECE Working Party on Forest Products Economics and Statistics
Prof. Richard Vlosky (United States)
Prof. B. Glavonjic (Serbia)
Prof. E. Akim (Russian Federation)
Jeremy Wall (European Commission)
Responsible Secretariat Member