Geneva Timber and Forest Study Paper 23, ECE/TIM/SP/23
The UNECE/FAO Forest Products Annual Market Review, 2007-2008 provides general and statistical information on forest products markets in 2007 and early 2008 in the UN Economic Commission for Europe region (Europe, North America and Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia)
The Review begins with an overview chapter, followed by a chapter on the policy implications of market developments, then a description of the economic situation and factors affecting forest products markets in the region.
Market developments in five standard sectors, based on annual country-supplied statistics, are described for wood raw materials, sawn softwood, sawn hardwood, wood-based panels and paper and paperboard.
Regular chapters discuss markets for wood energy, certified forest products, value-added wood products and tropical timber. In each chapter production, trade and consumption are analysed and relevant development on specific markets and policies are included.
Tables included with the text present summary statistical information. Additional statistical tables are available below.
The above publication is available in PDF format. To read documents in PDF format you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. This software is free-of-charge and is available from the official Adobe website.
Copies can be ordered from the UN Sales Section, fax +41 (22) 917-0027, https://unp.un.org
Detailed statistical data tables and trade flows and definitions
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 - United States forest products market crash impacts UNECE region: Overview of forest products markets
- Chapter 2 - Policy issues related to forest products markets in 2007 and 2008
- Chapter 3 - Severe housing slump in United States affecting worldwide economies: Economic developments affecting forest products markets, 2007-2008
- Chapter 4 - Forest products industry caught between rising wood costs and weakening markets: Wood raw material markets, 2007-2008
- Chapter 5 - United States market crash affects entire sector: Sawn softwood markets, 2007-2008
- Chapter 6 - Significant downturn in US production and consumption, while China draws in hardwood logs from UNECE region: Sawn hardwood markets 2007-2008
- Chapter 7 - Markets in Europe and North America experience diverging trends: Wood-based panels markets, 2007-2008
- Chapter 8 - Pulp and paper markets peaking amid slowing economy, rising input costs, and erosion of profits: Markets for paper, paperboard and woodpulp, 2007-2008
- Chapter 9 - Record fossil-fuel prices drive wood-energy markets: Wood-energy markets in the UNECE region, 2007-2008
- Chapter 10 - Green building drives construction market and forest certification: Certified forest products markets, 2007-2008
- Chapter 11- Global trade slump means trouble for producers: Value-added wood products markets, 2007-2008
- Chapter 12 - Record prices of 2007 fall with decreased demand in 2008: Trends in tropical timber markets, 2006-2008