- To promote a continuous exchange of (new) knowledge and practices on fire management through the organization of meetings on emerging issues in Fire Management in the UNECE region and the publication of the International Forest Fire News;
- To provide, in close cooperation and coordination with the UNISDR Wildland Fire Advisory Group / Global Wildland Fire Network, FAO, UNISDR, Council of Europe and other partners, guidance to ECE member states on forest fire management and forest fire policies, including bilateral / international cooperation of ECE member states;
- To organise regional seminars and training workshops in fire management.
Note: In the context of this mandate the Team will continue to address all vegetation fires (“wildland fires”), including fires in the agricultural sector and in peatland / wetland biomes.
EXPECTED MAJOR OUTPUTS
Time period 2008-2010:
- Symposium on Fire Management in Cultural and Natural Landscapes, Nature Conservation and Forestry in Temperate-Boreal Eurasia (GFMC, Freiburg, Germany, 25-28 January 2008);
- Meeting on Fire Management on Terrain Contaminated by Radioactivity, Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)and Land Mines” (Kyiv / Chornobyl, Ukraine, 6-8 October 2009);
- Advanced Wildland Fire Management Seminar (Antalya, 1-4 March 2010);
- Finalization of the Russian language version of the International Multi-Lingual Fire Management Terminology;
- International meeting on Cross-boundary Fire Management (Irkutsk, Russia, 16-18 June 2010);
- International conference on Forest Fire: Management and International Cooperation in Fire Emergencies of the Asia Pacific (Khabarovsk, Russia, 3-7 October 2010);
- Continue online publication of IFFN.
Time period 2011-2012:
8. Support the preparation of and participate at the 5th International Wildland Fire Conference (South Africa, May 2011) with presentations on fire management in ECE member states;
9. Support the preparation of an “ECE Regional Conference on Cross-boundary Fire Management” (proposed to be held in 2011), to build on the results of the Irkutsk, Khabarovsk and South Africa conferences.
Joint session of the UNECE Timber Committee and FAO European Forestry Commission, 23-24 October 2008
UNECE Timber Committee, 14 October 2010 and Bureau of the FAO European Forestry Commission, 15 October 2010
From 2010-to 2013, renewable thereafter
Johann Georg Goldammer (Germany)
Andrey Eritsov (Russian Federation)
Andrey Eritsov (Russian Federation)Nikolov Nikola (The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia)
Responsible Secretariat Member
Pieter van Lierop, FAO