In 1994, 179 countries met in Cairo for the United Nations International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD). The Conference adopted a 20-year Programme of Action (POA), which acknowledged gender equality, eliminating violence against women and the provision of comprehensive sexual and reproductive health services as cornerstones of population and development policies. As the programme’s twenty year anniversary approaches, the UN General Assembly passed resolution A/65/234 (2010) that established the roadmap for achieving the vision of ICPD beyond 2014. The resolution mandates that UNFPA—in cooperation with relevant UN agencies, international organizations, institutions and experts—undertake an operational review of the implementation of the Programme of Action (PoA). A key outcome from the review will be a special report with recommendations for action from the UN Secretary General to be presented to the UN Conference on Population and Development in 2014.
The UNECE has been delegated authority to carry out the Global Survey within the region. The package of Global Survey Instruments consists of a Questionnaire and a Questionnaire Interviewer Guide and Country Implementation Profiles (CIP) compiling data already available in the public domain. The standardized questionnaire was designed to ensure comparability of data and it is the result of a series of consultations with global civil society, international organizations and the United Nations System as well as governments. To ensure a coordinated response that is reflective of the different areas of expertise required, countries have been invited to set up national machineries that bring together stakeholders dealing with ICPD-related matters. A technical support group has been established at UNFPA headquarters to assist data collection for the questionnaire.
Contact for questions and submission of questionnaires from UNECE member States:
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
Palais des Nations
Avenue de la Paix 8-14
CH-1211 Genève 10
UNFPA ICPD beyond 2014 webpage: icpdbeyond2014.org
ICPD and previous reviews: www.unfpa.org/public/home/sitemap/icpd/International-Conference-on-Population-and-Development
- 31 October 2012 submission of responses to Global Survey questionnaire
- 4th-6th December 2012 Global Youth Forum, Bali, Indonesia
- March 2014 Analysis of country data and completion of regional reports by Regional Commissions
- 22nd-26th April 46th Session of the Commission on Population and Development
- 1-2 July 2013 Regional Population Conferences
- April 2014 47th Session of the Commission on Population and Development
- June/July 2014 Secretary-General ‘s Index Report on 47th Commission on Population and Development Debate completed
- September 2014 United Nations General Assembly Special Session on ICPD Beyond 2014
Click to download
Country Implementation profile
- ESCAP: September 16-20, 2013, Bangkok (with agreement from UNFPA regional office)
- ESCWA: June 24 (week of), 2013, Cairo. Location is tentative
- ECE: July 1-2, 2013, Geneva
- ECLAC: August 1-15, Uruguay. Exact dates to be determined
- ECA: September 1, 13, 17. Exact dates and location to be determined.