The Housing and Land Management Unit provides the Secretariat to the UNECE Committee on Housing and Land Management. This includes three major tasks as outlined below:
- Serves and coordinates the work of the Committee and its four bodies.
- Bureau of the Committee
- Working Party on Land Administration (WPLA)
- Real Estate Market Advisory Group (REM)
- Working Group on a Possible Framework Convention on Sustainable Housing
- Initiates and manages activities approved by the Committee.
- develops country-specific policy recommendations on challenges related to housing and land management in the UNECE region
- issues in-depth assessments and policy guideline
- publishes flagship reports including series of Country Profiles on the housing sector as well as Land Administration Reviews
- organizes national training workshops and pilot projects to help member States to speed up the policy reform process.
- Identifies emerging topics and developments, and brings them to the attention of member States.
The Secretariat communicates and coordinates activities between the:
through regular teleconference calls, meetings and workshops.
Among these important tasks the Secretariat:
For example,to tackle climate change, the Secretariat commissioned a report which analyses potential emission reductions in the housing sector. The result is an Action Plan on energy-efficient housing in the UNECE region. Another upcoming area of action is the green economy, and the Secretariat is exploring ways to support countries with economies in transition to realize the shift towards green economic growth in the housing sector.