This activity primarily comprises participative capacity-development workshops for stakeholders and pilot SEA or EIA procedures selected by the partner countries. The focus will be on SEA, where the greater opportunities for leverage for sustainability can be realized.
The activities will include:
- National and local level training on SEA. Events aim to bring together sectoral ministries and local authorities, including those responsible for economics, industry, agriculture and health, as well as civil society representatives, practitioners, planners and environmental authorities.
- Development of national guidance documents. These documents will be developed in close cooperation with the national authorities and should also build upon earlier development by Georgia, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine of national manuals for the implementation of SEA.
- Sub-regional coordination and experience-sharing events. These events will bring together representatives of the six partner countries and some civil society representatives. They provide the opportunity to share successes, challenges, solutions and experiences, as well as the results of capacity-building activities. They also encourage the development of personal relationships between experts in neighbouring countries.
- Pilot SEAs and EIAs. Pilot procedures will be applied to government land-use or sectoral plans and programmes. The pilots will support the SEAs and EIAs, notably with respect to public participation and consultation processes, as well as providing an analysis of effectiveness and the need for further regulatory, administrative or institutional strengthening. The underlying environmental assessments will be undertaken by the partner countries with support of project proponent, developer or investor.
- Factsheets on application of SEA/EIA.
Republic of Moldova
Report on national level training on SEA
Report on local level training on SEA
National guidance documents on SEA
Report on pilot project on SEA
Report on pilot project on post-project analysis (transboundary EIA)
Factsheets on SEA