Joint work and informal networks
UNECE provides the secretariat for the five conventions and their protocols (the Protocol on Water and Health is serviced jointly by UNECE and WHO). This "joint secretariat" provides the basis for many activities being organized jointly under two or more UNECE treaties. A particularly significant example of formal cooperation is the UNECE work on Water and Industrial Accidents carried out by the Joint ad hoc Expert Group on Water and Industrial Accidents.
Further examples of jointly-organized activities (will be added here).
Informal meetings are also held between office holders under the UNECE environmental treaties, as described below.
The informal meetings of representatives of the governing bodies of UNECE conventions and protocols, and the informal network of the corresponding compliance and implementation bodies, are informal and hold no mandate by the States Parties to pursue any particular objective and perform specific tasks. The meetings are informal and the documents produced are not official UN documents. UNECE, as the secretariat for the five conventions and their protocols, provides the platform for the presentation of the two initiatives and the related material. UNECE displays such material “as is”’ and makes no representations or warrantees, express or implied, that their content is complete, true, accurate or non-misleading.
Informal meetings of representatives of the governing bodies
Representatives of the governing bodies of the treaties have met informally to exchange information on priorities under the agreements and identify and discuss possible areas of cooperation and synergies that can be established among the agreements as well as with the UNECE Committee on Environmental Policy in light of recent and future key developments in the area of environment. Informal meetings between the representatives of the governing bodies and the Committee of Environmental Policy have been held on the following dates:
- 22 November 2011, Geneva - Chair's Summary
- 16 April 2012, Geneva - Chair's Summary
- 27 February 2013, Geneva - Chair's Summary, documents: Towards enhanced cooperation of UNECE MEAs: Informal guidance (a live document: version of 8 March 2013); Sustainable extrabudgetary financial arrangements for the ECE environmental conventions (discussion paper by the secretariat)
- 21 October 2013, Geneva - Chair's Summary
- 27 October 2014, Geneva - Chair's Summary
- 13 April 2015, Geneva - Chair's Summary, Draft 3.0 Secretariats for ECE multilateral environmental agreements - the way forward
- 26 October 2015, Geneva - Chair's Summary, subsequently: Activities jointly implemented by two or more UNECE MEAs (version of 1 December 2015; annex to the above-mentioned Informal guidance)
- 24 January 2017, Geneva - Chair's Summary, subsequently: Activities jointly implemented by two or more UNECE MEAs (version of 24 January 2017; annex to the above-mentioned Informal guidance)
The informal meetings of the governing body representatives built on earlier and continuing cooperation between the Secretaries to the five conventions.
Informal network of the UNECE compliance and implementation bodies
An informal network of Chairpersons of compliance and implementation bodies under UNECE MEAs was established. The informal network has met on the dates indicated below and is expected to meet next in June 2016.