NPD launched: 2007
NPD Chair and strategic partners: Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources, State Agency of Water Resources
MOU with UNECE: -
Current priority areas:
- Support to development and implementation of water legislation according to the 2014 EU-Ukraine Association Agreement.
- Strengthening the legal and institutional framework for water management in order to adapt to climate change. This covers water diplomacy activities in the transboundary Dniester river basin shared with the neighbouring Republic of Moldova. Activities were conducted in cooperation with OSCE and UNEP.
- Achieving sustainable water management, safe drinking water and adequate sanitation under the UNECE-WHO/Europe Protocol on Water and Health.
- Addressing the over-fragmentation of water supply services, and identifying the necessary reforms and barriers to their implementation. The government is now considering options for the consolidation of the WSS sector.
The NPD in Ukraine has been facing significant challenges due to the unstable political environment and subsequent changes in government personnel. Some significant achievements have been reached nonetheless.
- The State Programme on Flood Protection in the basin of the rivers Dniester, Prut and Seret was prepared and adopted in 2008. A bilateral agreement was signed with Moldova on water cooperation.
- In 2009, the State Programme on Water Sector Development up to 2020 was adopted. This addresses climate change adaptation issues, and the implementation of river basin management principles. The NPD contributed to a strengthened legal, institutional and managerial framework that helps to cope with climate change.
- National Targets were drafted under the Protocol on Water and Health with reference to the work in other EECCA countries such as the Republic of Moldova. The draft has been submitted to the Ministry of Environment for consultation.
Plans for the future:
The NPD is currently on hold, because of the political instability in the country. It’s expected that the NPD process will re-start in late 2016.