NPD launched: 2010
NPD Chair: Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources
MOU with UNECE: -
Current priority areas:
- Convergence of national water management legislation and processes with the EU WFD, including the principles of IWRM and river basin management.
- Key areas of work include the review of existing national legislation and the development of a new National Water Code.
- An inter-ministerial expert group was established to review the national legislation with a view to adopting the standards of the Water Convention. The group concluded that the Water Convention corresponds to the interests of the country and in August 2012, Turkmenistan acceded to the Water Convention.
- In 2013, the inter-ministerial expert group started drafting National Water Code in order to enact necessary legal changes in line with the Water Convention and principles of IWRM. The adoption of the National Water Code is in the 2016 work plan of Mejlis, the National Parliament.
- Capacity building workshops have been organized in 2014 and 2015 to introduce two UNECE legal instruments directly linked to water management - the Protocol on Water and Health and the Convention on the Transboundary Effects of Industrial Accidents.
Plans for the future:
- UNECE will continue its support to development of necessary legal framework for implementation of the principles of new Water Code and IWRM.
- Based on the successful work related to Turkmenistan’s accession to the Water Convention in 2012, an elaboration of the possibility to join the Protocol on Water and Health and the Convention on the Transboundary Effects of Industrial Accidents and the Protocol on Water and Health will be supported.
- The roadmap for implementation of the IWRM principles in Turkmenistan will be is expected to be developed with assistance of UNECE in 2016-2017.
Documents and Publications