NPD launched: 2011
NPD Chair: Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection
MOU with UNECE: 2015 (in English)
Current priority areas:
- Institutional reforms for IWRM in the view of approximation of EU water legislation, including the preparation of a National Water Law.
- Ratification of the UNECE-WHO/Europe Protocol on Water and Health and adoption of national water and health targets.
- Strengthening transboundary water cooperation with Armenia and Azerbaijan.
- A national water law was developed as part of the NPD process in Georgia. It introduces the river basin management approach (in line with the EU WFD) and clarifies the roles of state institutions. Several bylaws for practical implementation of new water law were also prepared. The new law and set of bylaws are expected to be approved by the end of 2016.
- A review of economic instruments for water management was conducted in Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia. Further reforms of existing instruments are being considered.
Plans for the future:
- Continued support will be provided to for continue the process of legal approximation with EU water legislation in accordance with the EU-Georgia Association Agreement, signed in 2014.
- Support to water diplomacy with neighbouring Armenia and Azerbaijan will continue through an assessment of the potential benefits of enhanced transboundary cooperation, including the development of economic instruments.
Stakeholder meeting (29 May 2013), see list of participants
Documents and Publications
Results and lessons learned from the Georgian National Policy Dialogue on Integrated Water Resources Management
under the European Union Water Initiative (December 2013) in English and Russian