NPD launched: 2006
NPD Chair and strategic partners: State Committee of Water Economy (Ministry of Territorial Administration), Water Resources Management Agency (Ministry of Nature Protection)
MOU with UNECE: 2006 (in English)
Current priority areas:
- Implementation of IWRM principles in line with the EU legislation
- Ratification and implementation of the UNECE-WHO/Europe Protocol on Water and Health
- A strategy for wastewater collection and treatment.
The NPD enjoys a high engagement level by officials in the Ministry of Environment and the State Committee of Water Systems. Armenian legislation on IWRM is converging towards the EU acquis. The NPD process had a key role through the development of policy packages:
- A National Financing Strategy for rural WSS was developed in order to achieve the MDGs in Armenia. Policy reforms were endorsed to close the financing gap for the sustainable operation and maintenance of existing services. Targets were agreed for infrastructure investment to expand services. Recommendations were made for institutional reform with respect to WSS in rural areas.
- A pilot River Basin Management Plan (RBMP) was developed for the Marmarik river basin in line with the principles of IWRM and the EU WFD, establishing the processes and institutions required. As a result, the Armenian authorities are now well equipped to replicate and scale up this pilot.
- Recommendations were developed to reform the current economic instruments for water management and introduce new ones. Water abstraction fees for the fishery sector have already been reformed.
Plans for the future:
- The Protocol on Water and Health is expected to be ratified and already drafted national targets formally adopted.
- A comprehensive assessment of selected economic instruments for water management will be completed in 2014. It will identify the essential prerequisites for reforms.
- There are ample opportunities to support ambitious reforms in Armenia, particularly with regard to the economics of water management.
Documents and Publications