The Group of Experts on Coal Mine Methane (CMM) is a subsidiary body of the Committee on Sustainable Energy (CSE) that promotes the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from coal mines. Its activities on recovery and use of methane reduce the risks of explosions in coal mines.
The principal activity of the Group of Experts on CMM is development and dissemination of the Best Practice Guidance for Effective Methane Drainage and Recovery in Coal Mines (EN RU 中文).
An early draft of the Best Practice Guidance on Effective Methane Drainage and Use in Coal Mines in Spanish is now available for public peer review and comments. All Spanish-speaking coal mine methane experts are kindly invited to review the publication and send their comments to firstname.lastname@example.org [8 October 2014]
An early draft of the Best Practice Guidance on Effective Methane Drainage and Use in Coal Mines in Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian is now available for public peer review and comments. All Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian -speaking coal mine methane experts are kindly invited to review the publication and send their comments to email@example.com [8 October 2014]
Work Plan 2014-2015
In 2014 and 2015 the Group of Experts on CMM will:
- Disseminate electronically the Best Practice Guidance to all major stakeholders in the ECE region and beyond as recommended by ECOSOC (Decision 2011/222)
- Prepare suggestions on how to develop, as appropriate, similar best practices guidance for aspects of CMM management that are not covered in detail by the current document
- Prepare proposals for case studies, where appropriate and financed by extra-budgetary resources, on the application of best practice guidance in specific coal mines in different regions of the world
- Facilitate the establishment by United Nations Member States of International Centres of Excellence in effective pre- and post-mining extraction and use of coal mine methane, abandoned mine methane, and ventilation air methane and suggest a rational distribution of labour between the Group of Experts and Centres of Excellence to ensure exchange of information and experience regarding the profitable methane recovery and use
- Consider best practices on issues related to drainage, recovery, and usage of coal mine methane
The work of the Group of Experts on Coal Mine Methane (CMM) has a benefit for coal mine safety through improvements in the drainage, recovery and use of coal mine methane.
News & Publications
NEW (8 October 2014):
Un primer bosquejo de la Guía de Mejores Prácticas de la ONU para Drenaje y Uso Eficaz del Metano en las Minas de Carbón, en español, se encuentra para su revisión y comentarios públicos. Todos los expertos de metano de minas de carbón que hablan español están invitados amablemente a revisar la publicación y a enviar sus comentarios a firstname.lastname@example.org
Prvi nacrt Praktičnih smernica za efikasnu drenažu i upotrebu metana u rudnicima uglja otvoren je za komentare. Molimo sve profesionalce koji se bave metanom i bezbednošću u rudnicima uglja da pošalju svoje sugestije na email@example.com
2014 U.S. Coal Mine Methane Conference, sponsored and organised by the US Environmental Protection Agency’s Coalbed Methane Outreach Program, to be held in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on 18-20 November 2014. (12 September 2014)
Case Studies (Best Practice Guidance on Effective Methane Drainage and Use in Coal Mines)