The Economic Survey of Europe
Since 1948 the Economic Survey of Europe provides regular, comprehensive analyses of economic developments and prospects in the entire ECE region. Following the radical changes in political regimes in the formerly Centrally Planned Economies of the ECE region, the Survey has since 1990 placed particular emphasis on developments in the countries in transition of eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union and the western response in terms of aid, trade and private investment. Starting in 1998 the Survey is published in three issues (April, July, November), incorporating the Economic Bulletin for Europe.
Issue No. 2 of the 1999 Survey was submitted to the Economic and Social Council's (Ecosoc) substantive meeting in Geneva, 5-30 July 1999. It is now available as a UN sales publication (Sales No.: E.99.II.E.3).
Economic Survey of Europe, 1999 No. 2
For an overview of the Survey please see the
The designations employed and the presentation of the material in this publication do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Any data provided under the heading "Yugoslavia" relate to the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia which, in accordance with General Assembly Resolutions 47/1 and 47/229, cannot continue automatically the membership of the former Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia .
Below are selected elements of this issue of the Survey.
- Table of contents
- Chapter 1 - Postwar Reconstruction and Developments in South-east Europe (PDF version)
- Chapter 2 - The Economic Situation in the ECE Region in mid-1999 (PDF version)
- Selected tables - (HTML or PDF version)
- Table 1.2.4 - Selected external financial indicators for the south-east European economies, 1998
- Table 1.3.1 - Trade of the south-east European transition economies: exports and imports by direction, 1997
- Table 2.2.2 - Real GDP in the developed market economies, 1996-1999
- Table 2.3.3 - GDP and industrial output in the ECE transition economies, 1998-1999
- Statistical Appendix - (HTML or PDF version)
Economic Survey of Europe, 1999 No. 1 (released in April 1999, Sales No.: E.99.II.E.2)
Economic Survey of Europe, 1998 No. 3 (released in December 1998, Sales No.: E.98.II.E.25)
Economic Survey of Europe, 1998 No. 2 (released in July 1998, Sales No.: E.98.II.E.18)
Economic Survey of Europe, 1998 No. 1 (released in April 1998, Sales No.: E.98.II.E.1)
Readers wishing to purchase this issue ($40) or subscribe to a year of the Economic Survey of Europe ($95), should contact:
Recent issues of the Survey are available from distributors of United Nations publications or from the United Nations Sales Section. In addition back issues of the Survey (from 1948) can be obtained in microfiche form (supplied as printed pages).