The Economic Survey of Europe
Since 1948 the Economic Survey of Europe provides regular, comprehensive analyses of economic developments and prospects in the entire ECE region. Following the radical changes in political regimes in the formerly Centrally Planned Economies of the ECE region, the Survey has since 1990 placed particular emphasis on developments in the countries in transition of eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union and the western response in terms of aid, trade and private investment. Starting in 1998 the Survey is published in three issues (April, July, November), incorporating the Economic Bulletin for Europe.
Issue No. 1 of the 1999 Survey was submitted to the 54th Session of the Economic Commission for Europe, 4-6 May 1999, and will be published shortly after the session (Sales No.: E.99.II.E.2).
Economic Survey of Europe, 1999 No. 1
For an overview of the Survey please see the
The designations employed and the presentation of the material in this publication do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Any data provided under the heading "Yugoslavia" relate to the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia which, in accordance with General Assembly Resolutions 47/1 and 47/229, cannot continue automatically the membership of the former Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia .
Below are selected elements of this issue of the Survey.
- Table of contents
- Chapter 1 - Overview and Selected Policy Issues (or PDF version)
- Chapter 2 - The Global Context and the Situation in the Western Market Economies (PDF only - 283kb)
- Chapter 3 - The Transition Economies
- Sections 3.1-3.4 covering issues in transformation policy, output and demand, costs and prices (PDF only - 519kb)
- Sections 3.5-3.7 covering labour markets, international trade, balance of payments (PDF only - 381kb)
- Chapter 4 - Fertility Decline in the Transition Economies, 1982-1997: Political, Economic and Social Factors (PDF only)
- Selected tables - (HTML or PDF version)
- Table 2.2.1 - Real GDP in the Developed Market Economies, 1996-1999
- Table 2.2.2 - Major components of demand in the ECE Market Economies, 1997-1998
- Table 3.1.1 - Basic Economic Indicators for the ECE Transition Economies, 1996-1999
- Table 3.1.2 - International trade and external balances of the ECE Transition Economies, 1996-1998
- Table 3.7.1 - Current Account Balances of eastern Europe, the Baltic countries and European members of the CIS, 1996-1998
- Statistical Appendix - (HTML or PDF version)
Economic Survey of Europe, 1998 No. 3 (released in December 1998, Sales No.: E.98.II.E.25)
Economic Survey of Europe, 1998 No. 2 (released in July 1998, Sales No.: E.98.II.E.18)
Economic Survey of Europe, 1998 No. 1 (released in April 1998, Sales No.: E.98.II.E.1)
Readers wishing to purchase this issue ($70) or subscribe to a year of the Economic Survey of Europe ($95), should contact:
Recent issues of the Survey are available from distributors of United Nations publications or from the United Nations Sales Section. In addition back issues of the Survey (from 1948) can be obtained in microfiche form (supplied as printed pages).