Societe Generale, Hong Kong
Gavin heads up the Infrastructure Project Finance team at SG Hong Kong, specialising in the transportation sector. Prior to this he led teams in London and Johannesburg.
He is a senior professional with a well established and acknowledged track record in the international infrastructure market as the head of one of the most respected teams in the industry, strong relationships with major clients consistently demonstrating an ability to originate business, create solutions for challenging problems and successfully manage large banking groups on complex transactions. Good commercial instincts and has successfully led the team through the financial crisis, continuing to lend and maintaining the confidence of management. Acknowledged by Infrastructure Investor magazine as one of the global top 10 most influential bankers in the infrastructure market.
His main assignments include:
- Advising GVK Hancock Coal on the development of a rail link and port terminal to support the development of the Alpha Coal Mine in the Galilee basin in Queensland, Australia;
- Advising Bouygues and Basil Read on their bid for the N1/N2 Winelands Toll Highway in South Africa;
- Advising Cintra and Budimex on the financing for the A1Toll Motorway Project in Poland;
- Advising the Hochtief Airport and Goldman Sachs Infrastructure Fund Consortium on their bid for Chicago Midway International Airport;
- Advising the Hochtief Airport Consortium on their original bid for the privatisation of Budapest Airport as well as their subsequent purchase of the airport from BAA;
- Advising the Bouygues, Bombardier and M&R led Bombela Consortium on their bid for the Gauteng Rapid Rail Link project in South Africa;
- Advising the Celtic Roads Group, formed by Dragados, Royal BAM and National Toll Roads, on the current Irish toll road projects, including the N7/N8 Portlaoise Motorway Project;
- Advising the Dragados led consortium in their bid for the N4 West Platinum Toll Highway, in South Africa;
- Advising Trans African Concessions on the re-financing of the Maputo Corridor Toll Road Project;
- Advising the Hochtief, Bilfinger Berger and Strabag led consortium on their bids for the Greek toll road projects;
- Advising the Alterra Consortium on their bid for the Lanarca and Pafos airports in Cyprus;
- Advising the Amey Lex Consortium on the C-Vehicles Project to provide the UK MoD with a fleet of construction vehicles and ancillary support services;
- Advising Murray & Roberts and G4S on their bids for the latest round of PPP prison projects in South Africa;
- Advising Portnet, the State owned South African port operator, on revaluing their marine infrastructure on a modern equivalent asset basis.
- Advising the MTRC / Mitsubishi led consortium on their bid for the South Hampshire Rapid Transit light rail scheme; and
- Advising Balfour Beatty and Mouchel on their bid for the Portsmouth Roads Maintenance project; and
Qualified as both a Chartered Accountant and an Advocate, he studied law at the University of the Witwatersrand in South Africa and had several year’s merchant banking experience, mainly in the areas of project finance, corporate finance and corporate reconstruction prior to joining Hambros Bank in 1997, which was subsequently acquired by SG.
He is a Member of UNECE PPP Business Advisory Board since January, 2014.