The objective of the UNECE/FAO Timber and Forestry programme is to strengthen the forest sector and its contribution to sustainable development throughout the UNECE region. This integrated programme has five work areas, including one on Forest Sector Outlook.
The UNECE/FAO Forestry and Timber Section analyses structural developments in the sector and produces studies of the long-term outlook for supply and demand for wood and the other goods and services of the forest, as a support to policy makers and analysts, as well as civil society and private sector decision makers, including studies on topical issues. During the period 2008-2013, the focus will be on updating the analysis of 2005 (European Forest Sector Outlook EFSOS) to take account of the developments as regards to bioenergy and climate change, including interactions between these developments and the outlook for existing wood using industries. Potential wood supply will be analysed, as well as the factors linked to its mobilisation.
Work area 3 comprises the following programme elements:
- Preparing European forest sector outlook studies - EFSOS II
- Contribution to FAO State of the World's Forests reports
- Analysing climate change issues relevant to the forest sector
- Analysing energy-related issues, including demand and supply for wood energy
- Collecting, validating, and disseminating information and analysis of wood availability, potential wood supply and wood mobilisation